As we read earlier this week, books are important/vital tools for pastors and leaders. I find reviews and surveys very helpful to keep abreast of books that are published, and those that ought to be read.
To that end, I have linked to two surveys of book publications in 2012: Bibles and Bible studies, including the top six books (Van Neste); the best books for preachers to read, including the top ten recommendations (Mohler).
Ray Van Neste, “The 2012 Preaching Survey of Bibles and Bible Study”:
The Year’s Top 6 Books in Biblical Studies
- Peter Gentry and Stephen Wellum, Kingdom Through Covenant: A Biblical Theological Understanding of the Covenants (Wheaton: Crossway).
- G.K. Beale, A New Testament Biblical Theology: The Unfolding of the Old Testament in the New (Grand Rapids: Baker Academic).
- Craig Bartholomew and David Beldman, ed. Hearing the Old Testament: Listening for God’s Address (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans).
- Gordon Wenham, Psalms as Torah: Reading Biblical Song Ethically (Grand Rapids: Baker).
- Craig Keener, Miracles: The Credibility of the New Testament Accounts, 2 vol. (Grand Rapids: Baker Academic).
- David Garland, Luke, Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament (Grand Rapids: Zondervan).
R. Albert Mohler, “The 2012 Preaching Survey of the Year’s Best Books for Preachers”:
Ten Books Every Preacher Should Read
- Thomas E. Bergler, The Juvenilization of American Christianity (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans).
- Gregg R. Allison, Sojourners and Strangers: The Doctrine of the Church (Wheaton: Crossway).
- Jonathan T. Pennington, Reading the Gospels Wisely: A Narrative and Theological Introduction (Grand Rapids: Baker Academic).
- Graeme Goldsworthy, Christ-Centered Biblical Theology: Hermeneutical Foundations and Principles (Downers Grove: InterVarsity Press).
- Peter Brown, Through the Eye of a Needle: Wealth, the Fall of Rome, and the Making of Christianity in the West, 350-550 AD (Princeton University Press).
- Charles Murray, Coming Apart: The State of White America, 1960-2010 (Crown Forum).
- D.A. Carson, The Intolerance of Tolerance (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans).
- Ross Douthat, Bad Religion: How We Became a Nation of Heretics (Free Press).
- Gerald Bray, God Is Love: A Biblical and Systematic Theology (Wheaton: Crossway).
- Michael Reeves, Delighting in the Trinity: an Introduction to the Christian Faith (Downers Grove: InterVarsity Press).