D. A. Carson, Research Professor of New Testament, TEDS, our EFCA seminary, is one of the top New Testament Evangelical scholars. Not only is he a gifted New Testament scholar, he is also an astute theologian, and he is a churchman. Additionally, Carson has a keen sense of what it means for Christians to live as the people of God in this culture (cf. Christ and Culture Revisited  and The Intolerance of Tolerance ).
Carson was interviewed about the Supreme Court’s decision to legalize same-sex “marriage.” In this 18 minute interview, Carson responds to the following questions/issues:
- How would you respond to one who asked for your thoughts regarding the Supreme Court’s ruling on same-sex “marriage”? (0:00-5:15)
- Do you believe this marks a new era for the church in the United States? (5:15-7:15)
- What would you say to fellow believers who may be angry or feel betrayed by this ruling? (7:15-9:20)
- With this ruling on Friday and the church gathering on Sunday, if you were a pastor what would you preach? (9:20-11:00)
- How will this ruling affect religious freedom? (11:00-14:10)
- What impact will this decision have on the international community, and specifically how will the global church view this? (14:10-18:24)
I encourage you to listen to this interview, and then forward it on to your elders and other leaders. And then discuss it. As you do so, please ponder these additional questions:
- How do you sense this will affect your pastoral ministry?
- How do you think this will affect the church and its ministry?
- How will you respond, what will you plan to do?
- What additional questions would you ask?